Renowned research chemist Karen Wetterhahn was working with dimethyl mercury in her lab at Dartmouth College, when she spilled a drop of the toxic compound on her glove.
She had taken every precaution possible while working with the volatile substance, from using a hood to prevent her from inhaling fumes, to wearing a face shield to protect her eyes and face, and putting on latex gloves to protect her hands.
Unfortunately, the chemical was absorbed by the glove instantly and, perhaps unbeknownst to her, made contact with her skin.
Waste management providers on understanding hazmat
What is the biggest mistaken belief higher ed leaders have about hazardous materials and chemicals on campus?