1. A variety of table sizes and styles?from bar stools to tables fit for a team and everything in between.
2. Comfortable seating?perhaps choosing sprung-back chairs, as the College of the Ozarks (Mo.) did.
3. Detached food stations?to avoid long lines building up.
4. Exhibition-style cooking?both entertaining and an excellent chance to get students and chefs talking.
5. Multiple checkout areas?to give diners the chance to enjoy their meals as quickly as possible.
6. Noise control?carpeting, room dividers, and separate quiet areas do the trick.