Keys to making outdoor wireless work
- Hire a Wi-Fi integrator to assess your needs.
- Think about the needs of everyone on campus (not just students).
- Determine a level of performance that can support the busiest times of day.
- Don’t scrimp on access points (APs) or other hardware.
- Place outdoor APs under building overhangs to minimize the chance for damage.
- Place APs in thin-walled buildings if outdoor APs are too costly.
- For optimal Wi-Fi strength, avoid bridging unless necessary.
- Know the device limitation of your WLAN controller.
- Consider selling user analytics to offset monthly Wi-Fi costs.
- Form a plan for temporary events that would otherwise put a strain on your Wi-Fi.
- Provide universal access, if possible.
You Still Have Time to Register for UBTech!
Join UBTech on June 12-14 in Orlando for “the Biggest Week in Campus AV & IT” which includes a fee pass to the InfoComm exhibit hall.
Register now for access to nationwide networking, new higher ed solutions, and sessions focused on active classroom, cybersecurity, and AV and IT strategy and implementation.