Keys to making outdoor wireless work
- Hire a Wi-Fi integrator to assess your needs.
- Think about the needs of everyone on campus (not just students).
- Determine a level of performance that can support the busiest times of day.
- Don’t scrimp on access points (APs) or other hardware.
- Place outdoor APs under building overhangs to minimize the chance for damage.
- Place APs in thin-walled buildings if outdoor APs are too costly.
- For optimal Wi-Fi strength, avoid bridging unless necessary.
- Know the device limitation of your WLAN controller.
- Consider selling user analytics to offset monthly Wi-Fi costs.
- Form a plan for temporary events that would otherwise put a strain on your Wi-Fi.
- Provide universal access, if possible.
UBTech 2017 Call for Speakers
Enhance your leadership influence by presenting at UBTech 2017, the biggest week in higher ed AV, IT, and Institutional Success. The UBTech program team is accepting proposal submissions in the following categories:
- Active Classroom
- AV Integration
- Campus IT
- Institutional Success
- Instructional Technology
- Policy and Practice
For more information and helpful tips on submitting high-quality proposals, visit the UBTech Speakers Portal.