Keys to making outdoor wireless work
- Hire a Wi-Fi integrator to assess your needs.
- Think about the needs of everyone on campus (not just students).
- Determine a level of performance that can support the busiest times of day.
- Don’t scrimp on access points (APs) or other hardware.
- Place outdoor APs under building overhangs to minimize the chance for damage.
- Place APs in thin-walled buildings if outdoor APs are too costly.
- For optimal Wi-Fi strength, avoid bridging unless necessary.
- Know the device limitation of your WLAN controller.
- Consider selling user analytics to offset monthly Wi-Fi costs.
- Form a plan for temporary events that would otherwise put a strain on your Wi-Fi.
- Provide universal access, if possible.
Register now for UBTech 2018
Register now for UBTech 2018, June 4-6 at the Mirage, Las Vegas. At UBTech 2018, you’ll network with a dynamic community of higher ed leaders who are shaping the future of campus technology and explore topics like cyber security, distance learning, campus learning space design, communications, personalized learning and more. Your UBTech registration also includes a free pass to the InfoComm exhibit hall.