- How does the solution fit with your overall technology plan?
- Does the solution help move your institution forward?
- What is the escalation process?
- What is the exit policy?
- Will the data be portable and accessible on a different system?
- Is the contract flexible enough to accommodate growth, or pull back if needed?
- If you can’t customize a SaaS product, does it do what you want? Will you spend as much to customize it as you would on a traditional product?
- Does the security and encryption meet industry standards?
Cloud computing is gaining acceptance, but is it core ready?
Acceptance of cloud computing—the practice of storing data in off-site servers rather than on campus—has been growing by leaps and bounds, at least in some areas. “It’s growing in the areas easier to rip and replace, such as CRM,” says Stan Swete, chief technology officer at Workday, which offers HR and Payroll systems through software as a service (SaaS).