N.H. bill would let some illegal immigrants get in-state tuition at public colleges, universities

Tim Goral's picture

Starting this year, students must swear under oath that they are legal residents of the United States to be eligible for in-state tuition at New Hampshire’s public colleges and universities.

But amid the national debate over immigration reform, state legislators are considering carving out an exception and allowing people who came here illegally, but otherwise qualify as New Hampshire residents, to get subsidized tuition so long as they apply for legal residency or say they will once the option is available.

“These students have lived in New Hampshire, have attended school in New Hampshire, have graduated from New Hampshire schools and want to further their educations at the University of New Hampshire or one of our community colleges,” said Rep. Mary Stuart Gile, a Concord Democrat and chairwoman of the House Education Committee. “And they feel, and I do too, they should be entitled to in-state tuition.”

Read more