Firefighters evacuated 28 members of the Theta Chi fraternity Friday after a fire broke out in a storage room in the frat's basement.
The fire was reported about 1:14 a.m. in the fraternity house at 453 East Abbot, East Lansing Fire officials said.
While completing a search and rescue, several other fires were discovered and put out. The building's sprinkler system extinguished the blaze that started in the storage room, fire officials said.
Firefighters discovered that the fraternity house's smoke detectors had been ripped form the walls or didn't work because wires had been cut, East Lansing Fire Marshal Bob Pratt said.