Fire Burns Through Union County College Kitchen Saturday Night

Ann McClure's picture
Monday, September 19, 2011

A kitchen fire Saturday night left part of the Union County College campus unusable for the next few days, according to college officials.

The fire started after 9 p.m. and burned much of the kitchen in “The Annex,” a student center at the school’s Plainfield campus, according to Stephen Nacco, an assistant to the UCC president. The cafeteria has smoke and water damage and will be closed for a few days, and a classroom and an office will also be closed.

But most of the other parts of the building are unscathed, and the campus will be open as usual on Monday, he added. A class for EMTs was moved on Sunday, he said.

“We’re not at all going to abridge anything we’re doing,” he said.

Read more »