ARAMARK is helping 2.5 million college and university students live healthier lives when they return to school this fall by introducing Healthy for Life™, ARAMARK’s commitment to improve health and well-being.
“Students are thinking differently about their menu choices and are actively seeking information about how nutrition impacts their health,” said Cathy Schlosberg, Vice President of Marketing, ARAMARK Higher Education. “ARAMARK Healthy for Life™ helps students gain a better understanding of food, and empowers them to make the choices that will ultimately help them live healthier lives.”
Healthy for Life™ includes menus featuring lower calorie, lower fat, whole grain and vegetarian or vegan choices, as well as a variety of tools, programs and events designed to make it easy for students to select balanced food choices and learn how they can establish and maintain life-long healthy eating habits.
From a smartphone app and menu labeling to a dining hall Wellness Center, some of the Healthy for Life™ program elements include:
• CampusDish™ Nutrition Smartphone App: This free tool can be downloaded by smartphone users to quickly and easily search and view menus by location, item and nutritional content.
• Healthy for Life™ Wellness Center: Located in each residential dining hall, this wellness center serves as a central location for nutrition and wellness information on campus.
• Just4U Nutrition Messaging: This menu labeling system features bright, colorful, easy to identify, leaf shaped icons to alert students to foods that are low in fat; 500 calories or less; organic; locally grown; low sodium; steamed and more.
• Campus Wellness Walk: A customized virtual tour, the Wellness Walk showcases healthier options across campus and alerts students to the menu selections that are available at each dining location.
• Special Events and Promotions: Throughout the school year, on-site health fairs, healthy food sampling events, cooking demonstrations by ARAMARK chefs and wellness workshops with ARAMARK dietitians will take place to continuously encourage students to eat well.
On more than 30 college and university campuses where the program was piloted, ARAMARK found that Healthy for Life™ helped students gain a better understanding of food and empowered them to make balanced food choices. Feedback from participants at pilot locations emphasized that Healthy for Life™ works because it’s a lifestyle program, not a diet program.
ARAMARK Healthy for Life™ builds on proprietary research as well as global health trends that focus on wellness, good nutrition and healthy lifestyles. More than 75 percent of students surveyed by ARAMARK Higher Education* in the past year indicated they are striving to be careful about what they eat and want to know how to make better nutrition and lifestyle choices.
Check out the program in action: Healthy for Life YouTube Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEAvm9dFFTk
*ARAMARK Fall 2012 DiningStyles™, Survey Size: 148,000 college students
ARAMARK delivers experiences that enrich and nourish people’s lives through innovative food, facility, and uniform services. United by a passion to serve, our more than 250,000 employees make a meaningful difference each day for millions of people around the world. ARAMARK is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.