Nearly 80 academic programs at the University of Northern Iowa would either be eliminated or dramatically restructured under a proposal being discussed by administrators and faculty members, information obtained by The Des Moines Register shows.
The draft document dated March 5, 2012 shows programs on the chopping block include:
• French, German and Russian bachelor of arts programs and French and German master's programs.
• Geology bachelor's programs.
• Physics bachelor's programs.
• Geography bachelor's programs.
• Criminology and sociology master's programs.
All the programs originally under consideration for elimination had an average of 10 or fewer graduates over the past five years. The programs proposed for elimination have had six or fewer graduates the past five years, documents provided The Register show.