Keys to making outdoor wireless work
Tips include hiring a Wi-Fi integrator and providing universal access
- Hire a Wi-Fi integrator to assess your needs.
- Think about the needs of everyone on campus (not just students).
- Determine a level of performance that can support the busiest times of day.
- Don’t scrimp on access points (APs) or other hardware.
- Place outdoor APs under building overhangs to minimize the chance for damage.
- Place APs in thin-walled buildings if outdoor APs are too costly.
- For optimal Wi-Fi strength, avoid bridging unless necessary.
- Know the device limitation of your WLAN controller.
- Consider selling user analytics to offset monthly Wi-Fi costs.
- Form a plan for temporary events that would otherwise put a strain on your Wi-Fi.
- Provide universal access, if possible.